Thursday, July 1, 2010

World Cup Fever


World Cup Fever is on and you know you’ve been bitten by the bug if:

Your under eye circles are darker than usual (no thanks to the 2:30am games)

Coffee and you have become inseparable BFFs (okay, fine I'm trying to excuse my addiction to caffeine)
You’ve virtually painted your FB profile pic care of Bud United 


 
And you instinctively pull out your VISA when asked for a credit card (Thanks to Morgan Freeman and the powers of advertising)


With the quarter-finals coming up this weekend, my kitchen and I have found ourselves in the midst of it all with a new project. 8 countries = 8 cuisines. Of course, half the remaining 8 is latino, but it got me thinking, now’s the time to use all those cookbooks I’ve accumulated and maybe find me some new staples to my cooking repertoire. So here goes Cooking 101 a la World Cup 2010...
  
GHANA

Being the only surviving African country in the World Cup, I thought I should find a recipe for their favorite snack sold by street vendors.

 
Kele Wele 

2-3 ripe plantains (I used our native Filipino saba bananas)
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp fresh grated ginger (Ugh! I am NOT and never will be a fan of ginger)
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
3 tbsp safflower oil (the recipe actually called for a mixture of 1 tbsp palm oil and 2 tbsp peanut oil, but ever since I read Skinny Bitch, I do my frying with safflower oil.)
  1. Slice the plantains/bananas into discs.
  2. Mix all of the spices and water together in a bowl.
  3. Stir in the plantains/bananas until covered with the mixture.
  4. Fry the slices in very hot oil until crispy and brown; about 5 minutes on each side.
SPAIN 

Just because everyone needs to drink something other than agua sometimes, I had to add this one. I think everyone has their own versions of the beloved sangria, but here are mine:


Sangria Roja

For every bottle of red wine:
½ bottle (liter) or 2 cans of diet orange soda
Rum, vodka, gin or whatever your chosen poison is - put as much or as little (or fine, none...corny!)
Diced fruits - apples, oranges, pears or whatever fruits you like (I've tried this with raspberries, too, yum-oh!!!)

 


Sangria Blanca

For every bottle of white wine:
½ bottle (liter) or 2 cans of diet Sprite
Splash or more of your chosen poison
Diced fruits - my current fave is a combo of pineapples and watermelons, but peaches are my staple

* I like to keep the fruits in the freezer once diced with the wine and sodas chilling in the fridge - the colder the sangria, the better, and ice just dilutes it.

GERMANY 

When I think Germany, I think Oktoberfest, sausages and Heidi Klum’s “Auf Wiedersehen”.  My nephew, Tommy, suggested I tackle the sausage issue. So here are 12 of the most common German sausages: 12 Must Try German Sausages

NETHERLANDS

Famous for their cheeses, here are some of their finest:

Gouda - Their most famous cheese can be eaten fresh or aged and makes a wonderful table or dessert cheese
Edam - This popular cheese usually comes in the form of a cheese ball coated in paraffin
Leyden - The traditional spiced farmhouse cheese is the perfect snack
Maasdam - Known as the Dutch emmental
Smoked Gouda - Sausage-shaped cheese perfect to take along on picnics and road trips

BRAZIL

I've been dying to make Pao de Queijo ever since my BFF in Florida made them. Here is the recipe she swears by, which I plan to try out this weekend: (Yes, I do have her permission to post this. Obrigado, Paulyn!!!)
 

1 ½ cups whole milk
2
½ cups tapioca flour
1
½ cups shredded parmesan cheese 
¾ cup corn oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Lightly grease a 12- or 24-cup mini-muffin pan or small dariole molds.
  3. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
  4. Mix well until batter is smooth.
  5. Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Bread should be crisp on the outside and hollow on the inside, like a popover. Best served warm.

P.S. I know how frustrating it is sometimes to not be able to find certain ingredients (I've searched all groceries and specialty food stores for tapioca flour to no avail; however, in my desperation I found a new favorite site: The Cook's Thesaurus

ARGENTINA, PARAGUAY Y URUGUAY
 

Probably as popular as futbol in Latin America, Dulce de Leche is a staple in many desserts and can now be bought just about anywhere. But because I like making things harder for myself and I love a good challenge in the kitchen, I decided to make my own homemade stash and now I just cannot imagine my life without it.The recipe I used is:


Dulce de Leche

1 ½ cups of condensed milk
1 ⅔ cups of evaporated milk
½ tsp baking soda
Generous pinch of salt (optional) 
1tbsp maple syrup (actual recipe called for light corn syrup)
Cinnamon sticks (optional)
1 tsp vanilla


Sweet little Alba gives her pretty smile of approval.
Because corn syrup has been getting a bad rap, I changed it to maple syrup which I read somewhere is full of antioxidants and calcium. It is optional to add cinnamon sticks (I didn't) just remember that 1 cinnamon stick equals ½ tsp cinnamon powder.

For a step-by-step guide, please go to: How to Make Dulce de Leche


You have to be extremely careful with the temperature and the stirring, it took me two tries, but BFF & Bolso Babe Kit (she gives me the most honest reviews for my goodies) says it is perfect. I now know never to turn down homemade latin desserts. Talk about labor of love!!! So now I start my days with a cup of brewed coffee with a heaping teaspoon of my homemade dulce de leche. I have truly found heaven in a cup. And as I impatiently wait to see Ronaldo once again (end August/early September), I will be perfecting my Pasteis de Nata. - KAB


3 comments:

  1. OMG... this is amazingly fun and festive. I'm so excited to try all the recipes esp the kele wele, where did you even find that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmmmm i love maple syrup. good idea to substitute it for corn syrup in dulce de leche -- the recipe for kenny roger's cornbread muffins calls for corn syrup, but maple works best there, too!

    go, messi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much!

    I found the kele wele recipe researching on Ghanian snacks and I figured why not as the Philippines has tons of bananas!

    As for cornbread, I will try to look for that recipe, sounds dee-lish!

    Vamos Argentina! :)

    ReplyDelete