Sunday, August 8, 2010

Not Just Another Manic Monday

I am not a vegetarian. My sister, on the other hand, has been Mary Moon for 18 years. In an attempt to follow her lead, I went pescaterian (Yes, I’m the one who ordered a grilled salmon in Peter Luger’s...) for 2 years until I realized that I could no longer say no to prosciutto con melone nor could I pass up my Mumsy’s roast beef during the Christmas holidays.

Lately though with all this talk about the environment - every other store is offering a recyclable shopping bag, vegetables to jeans to moisturizers are going organic, and in the fashion world GREEN is fast becoming the new BLACK. Now with the weather all over the world going haywire, I guess it’s really just hitting closer and closer to home.

This leads me to my latest finds:

In the U.S., MEATLESS MONDAY is a movement which aims to help people reduce their meat consumption by 15%. By cutting out meat once a week, we can improve our health, reduce our carbon footprint and lead the world in the race to reduce climate change.

 
In another continent, Sir Paul McCartney along with his daughters Mary and Stella lead MEAT FREE MONDAYS. Its aim isn’t to turn us all into vegetarians, but it is a call for us to take that step in the fight against climate change.

 
Imagine if we could really save the planet by going veg-o just one day a week? Think about it, do your research, and I believe you’ll know exactly what to do.

I leave you with a recipe that is guaranteed to make you look forward to Mondays. So now, I turn you over to my Sissy...

Ria’s Mac and Cheese

The key to Mac and Cheese is a lot of cheese, aka the cheesier the better. This is one of those dishes that is totally to taste, and when in doubt, add more cheese. After all, mac is not meant to be the star of the show.

A blend of five cheeses:

Young Fontina - cow’s milk, Italian, soft cheese that blends and melts well
Smoked Gouda - cow’s milk, Dutch, hard cheese smoldered in hickory
Parmigiano Reggiano - self-explanatory, great for finishing dishes
Gruyère - sweet and salty cheese, perfect for melting
Sharp Cheddar - the classic mac and cheese cheese

Your own Bechamel Sauce recipe

Add cheese and Bechamel Sauce to al dente elbow, macaroni or spiral pasta. Top with seasoned breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano and Sharp Cheddar. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees F.

Hermanita, a million thanks for finally sharing your recipe with me! I forgive you for keeping your Bechamel sauce a secret. LYS!!! - KAB

Sources: www.meatlessmonday.com, www.supportmfm.org/index.cfm

3 comments:

  1. WOOHOO!!!! As usual...you should write your own recipe book! Kudos to you KAB!!! Looking forward to reading more of your blogs!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmmmmmmers! bechamel sauce....... who knew milk, flour and butter could taste so good?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words. I love writing in this blog of ours!!! :)

    As for the Bechamel Sauce...sinfully delicious, isn't it?

    XOXO, Readers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete