Thursday, March 4, 2010

Unleashing Creativity through Summer Workshops

Almost ten years ago, I enrolled in a summer workshop. That was the last thing I would've thought of doing then given that I thought I was too old for those things. I really only agreed to do it because of the prodding of my voice coach, Ms. Kitchy Molina (who I fondly refer to as "Mommy Kitchy", my voice coach-mentor-shrink rolled into one!). You see, for as long as I can remember i've always loved to sing... the problem???--- I never liked singing in front of other people! =D

"You need to join a summer singing-acting workshop Jen... then maybe when you sing you won't be looking at the floor anymore!" is what Mommy Kitchy would say back then. So, to try and address this "performance-phobia" I had, that summer I followed her advice and signed up in Trumpets Playshop's advanced musical theatre class under Ms. Sweet Plantado-Tiongson. What I initially thought would be so stressful for the somewhat semi-introvert that I was during those days became one of the most fun-filled and life-changing experiences i've ever had. That summer I found a big part of who I was... that summer helped mold me into who and what I am today... that summer led me to discover one of my true passions in life--- performing on stage! =D

Every summer, the country's top theatre companies conduct summer workshops offering various classes that one can choose from. Listed below are three theatre companies i've had the priviledge of working with throughout my now ten year theatre career. They all offer a great variety of summer workshop classes that will surely make your 2010 summer time well spent so I encourage you all to go for it---"Forget regret,or life is yours to miss... No other path, no other way, no day but today"=D

TRUMPETS PLAYSHOP 

Through the years, Playshop has been known for successfully developing talents of their students using interactive teaching and creative dramatics. Every summer, they add new classes to their already wide-range of classes offered, including more multi-media disciplines in it's roster. Some of the new classes offered this summer include: jazz class, photography for kids, blogging and DJ-ing classes. They've also added four classes for advanced students and experienced actors: acting for film, dancing for musical theatre, master class and acting the song. This summer, classes will be offered at Shangri-la Mall, The Podium, Alabang Town Center and The Fort.

* phone numbers: 636.2842 631.7252 635.4478
* office: Trumpets Musicademy-- 5th level, Shangri-la Plaza Mall

REPERTORY PHILIPPINES SUMMER WORKSHOPS 

In April and May, REP, one of the country's premiere theatre companies, conducts various workshops for children and adults. They conduct their workshops daily. Their daily two-hour sessions run for six weeks and culminate in showcases for each class at the Onstage Theater in Greenbelt.



* phone numbers: 887.0711 887.0737 887.0742
* office: C2-A Building C, Karrivin Plaza, 2316 Pasong Tamo Extension

THE PHILIPPINE OPERA COMPANY SUMMER WORKSHOPS 


For this summer, POC offers voice, piano, guitar, violin lessons, basic theory and "music and movement" for toddlers, children, teens and adults. It also offers what they call "Buddy Lessons" for voice and instruments--- its premise?...two friends who want to study voice or the same instrument can register together. As in previous years, the final recital for their workshops will be held at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Tower.




* phone number: 892.8786 (look for Doris)
* office: 15 Garcia Villa Street, San Lorenzo Village, Makati

Here's to unleashing your creativity through summer workshops... Happy hunting!!!=D - JJV

No comments:

Post a Comment